[Avodah] The Vilna Gaon and Secular Studies

D Rubin dcr.man at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 02:59:49 PDT 2018

R’ Moshe Yehudah,

Thank you for taking notice of my post!

‘Only a narrow band of Torah studies are benefited by a narrow band of secular studies’ - I agree with you - but only in part.

  1.  If I may add the word ‘directly’ to your statement (- ‘only a narrow band of Torah studies are *directly* benefited’), as, arguably, the entire thinking process is aided by a secular education [though admittedly, this was not the thrust of my original statement].
  2.  Re the case in point, Chullin and biology. Though, in general, the biology syllabus does not necessarily help in learning Chulin, biology could be taught in a manner that would: i.e. a teacher familiar with the various sugyos, could give a thorough grounding in anatomy, etc. This would be better than relying on Temunei Chol [or similar compilations], which (might) stifle critical thinking. Furthermore, an appreciable amount of Torah literature is based upon a medieval understanding of chemistry and anatomy. A fuller understanding of those thinking processes, coupled with a comparative study of [human] biology and the basics of modern chemistry, could conceivably open the door to a much fuller Torah experience. Indeed, a syllabus could conceivably be drawn up that would both benefit the Ben Torah and satisfy the requirements of an Examinatory Board.
  3.  Re maths; again, you are right, so far as a basic understanding of the sugyos are concerned. But to appreciate maths as a backbone of the world’s structure and thus marvel at theחכמת הבורא , to be able to extrapolate and apply mathematical theory to deeper areas of the Torah [which surely some of them will want to learn], requires a fundamental grounding in the subject.

Dovid Rubin