[Avodah] Kneidlach - what the ShA HaRav actually says

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 10 03:51:53 PDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 08:24:59PM +1000, Isaac Balbin wrote:
: It's arguable. The counter argument is they *are* being Meikel on the
: Rabbinc Issur to use things which 'compete' with bread. For want of
: another term.

The only thing we know for sure is that it included some subset of
grain-like foods and of legumes. Any reason as to why is a post-facto
theory. Multiple exist.

In principle, pasqaning one such shitah is right, and therefore the
rabbanim who made a din must have intended to include the new case is
possible. But not compelled. We often leave a gezeira off where it
originally ended because it's not for us to ban more things than
Chazal did.

All the more so in a case like qitniyos, when it's not a rabbinic issur
but a minhag.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?