[Avodah] The not-Korban Pesach

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 18:30:38 PDT 2018

I had asked:
: It has come to me attention recently that the Torah never refers to
: the Pesach as a Korban...
: My question is this: Whatever reason it was, why the Torah avoided
: using that word in this context ... why did Chazal feel differently?

Upon further research, it seems that my question was based on the
*mistaken* assumption that the Pesach was unique in this regard. It
turns out that while the Torah does use the word "korban", it never
uses phrases such as "Korban Tamid", "Korban Todah", or "Korban
Musaf". These were referred to simply as the Tamid, the Todah, and the
Musaf, just as the Pesach was. Apparently, construction of the phrase
came much later, and was applied to them all.

Exception: The "Korban Mincha" is mentioned three times in Vayikra 2,
but that would change the whole question drastically.

I should also clarify: these phrases aren't missing only from the
Torah, but from the whole Tanach. They seem to have arisen after the
Tanach.

Akiva Miller