[Avodah] [Areivim] Gebrokts

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Thu Mar 29 04:08:17 PDT 2018

At 12:07 AM 3/29/2018, Ben Waxman wrote:

>Welcome to the world of minhag. It is called the human element, that
>part of the halachic world where we add our input, our flavor, that
>element of "je ne sais quoi".
>
>The Rambam writes clearly that "minhag can forbid something that is
>permitted". This is one, fairly minor, example of that idea.
I can see forbidding something that is permitted,  but not permitting
something that is forbidden.

If those who do not eat Gebrokts are doing it, because they are
concerned about chometz,  then how can making Gebrokts be permitted
on any of the first 7 days of Pesach,  when the issur of chometz is
D'Oraisa?   How can making Gebrokts on the 7th day of  Pesach be
permitted,  even if one might have a guest show up this year on
Friday afternoon who eats Gebrokts.  According to those who do not
eat Gebrokts,  one is dealing with a possible issur.

YL