[Avodah] [Areivim] Gebrokts

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 29 09:02:55 PDT 2018

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 07:08:17AM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: I can see forbidding something that is permitted,  but not permitting
: something that is forbidden.

: If those who do not eat Gebrokts are doing it, because they are
: concerned about chometz,  then how can making Gebrokts be permitted
: on any of the first 7 days of Pesach...

Um, it's only assur because of minhag. Everyone agrees that in terms of
safeiq, it would be mutar. That's why it's lifnim mishuras hadin and
minhag.

So no one is permitting something prohibited by curtailing the minhag on
day 7. They are prohibiting less of the permitted. Just as you too would
make gebrochts on the last day.