[Avodah] Gebrokts on the 8th Day

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 28 03:19:16 PDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 01:17:56PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: All cooking on Friday is ostensibly for a hypothetical unexpected
: guest (or a horde of ravenous bochurim) who might show up right
: before shkiah.  Since we don't know this person's identity in
: advance, perhaps he will not be a chossid, and will eat the gebrokts
: that have been prepared.  He might also be Sefardi, so it seems to
: me that in EY one may cook kitniyos on Shevi'i shel Pesach, to be
: eaten, if our hypothetical guest is a no-show, at the meals of
: Shabbos Motzo'ei Pesach.

However, an Ashkenazi is permitted to own qitniyos.

A chassid is avoiding gebrochts for the sake of avoiding a small risk of
producing chameitz. And if chameitz were produced, the chassid wouldn't
be allowed to own it. The minhag itself should include not having the
result in your posession on day 7.

So you answered why it's not a hakhanah issue, but is that enough?

(Not that gebrochts observer = chassid really maps.)

Micha Berger             The Maharal of Prague created a golem, and
micha at aishdas.org        this was a great wonder. But it is much more
http://www.aishdas.org   wonderful to transform a corporeal person into a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "mensch"!     -Rav Yisrael Salanter