[Avodah] Gebrokts on the 8th Day

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Mar 27 10:17:56 PDT 2018

On 27/03/18 10:16, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
>  My wife and I have both been told by people that when
> the 8th day of Pesach is on Shabbos that Gebrokts is prepared on Friday
> afternoon for consumption on Shabbos.
>

> This makes absolutely no sense to me.  If Gebrokts are a possible
> problem in other years on the first 7 days of Pesach,  then why aren't
> they a problems this year on the 7th day of Pesach?

All cooking on Friday is ostensibly for a hypothetical unexpected guest
(or a horde of ravenous bochurim) who might show up right before shkiah.
  Since we don't know this person's identity in advance, perhaps he will
not be a chossid, and will eat the gebrokts that have been prepared.  He
might also be Sefardi, so it seems to me that in EY one may cook
kitniyos on Shevi'i shel Pesach, to be eaten, if our hypothetical guest
is a no-show, at the meals of Shabbos Motzo'ei Pesach.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper