[Avodah] The Besht

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 16 03:33:17 PDT 2018

More on respecting others' minhagim. RGStudent posted the following
on FB last night
https://www.facebook.com/gil.student/posts/10156405636438738

    A Sephardic Jew mocked Chad Gadya, which Ashkenazim recite at the
    Passover Seder. A fellow Sephardic Jew considered this sacrilegious
    and placed him in excommunication (niduy). The great Sephardic sage
    the Chida, Rav Chaim Yosef David Azulay (d. 1806), was asked whether
    this excommunication was appropriate. He responded (Chaim Sha'al 1:28)
    that yes, it is sacrilegious to mock a text that thousands of Jews
    (even Ashkenazim) -- among them holy scholars -- recite.

The cited Chida is at http://bit.ly/2pgO4xq , which is on a Facebook
owned fbcdn.net server.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l