[Avodah] Besamim and Havdala

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 15 09:36:13 PDT 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 07:47:11AM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: Thank you. Many years ago I learned Rama 299:10, which distinguishes
: between a "melacha gemura" and other melachos...

He makes a nafqa mina lemaaseh between them, but left me guessing what
their definitions are. The Rama's examples of "other melakhos" are
hadlaqas haneir and hotza'ah meireshus lirshus. Okay, hotza'ah has
a long history of being labeled a melakhah garu'ah. But what makes
havarah less of a malakhah gemura than any other?

(The end of that Rama talks about a minhag he never saw of drawing water
motza"sh, when the Be'eir Miyam is "soveiv ... kol habe'eiros". And
anyone who is "pogeia' bo veyishteh mimenu" will be healed from all
their illnesses. It had me wondering how long I would need to leave the
tap on in order to get all of the water already out of the be'eir out
of my pipes, so that I would get such water. Then I wondered if any
Passaic's water is artesianal anyway.)

Micha Berger             If you're going through hell
micha at aishdas.org        keep going.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Winston Churchill
Fax: (270) 514-1507