[Avodah] deprive the minyan of the opportunity to say tachanun

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Thu Mar 15 11:28:25 PDT 2018

A few months ago I was in the main shul in a yishuv. The shul was quite
large. There was a psak there by the shul rav stating in a small
community shul, where everyone knows everyone, it makes complete sense
that if there is a chatan, then one doesn't say tachanun. However, in
this shul, in which strangers pray there every day and even not all the
members know everyone, the presence of a chatan doesn't really add to
their simcha. That being the case, visitors to the shul should say
tachanun, even if the congregation doesn't.

I don't know how that would work in practice, but it was interesting to
see someone actually say that you have to have some connection to the
ba'al simcha.