[Avodah] Besamim and Havdala

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Feb 22 03:47:03 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:23:44PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: > and your nails? Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.) Without
: > both, you'd be making a berakhah more like Dayan ha'emes --
: > kesheim shemivorkhim al hatov...
:
: It's an intriguing idea, except that I've never before heard of
: "hana'ah necessary for the berakhah of lehavdil." Do you have a
: source? I always considered Havdala a Shevach, just like Kiddush is.

Yes, as I wrote, one /could/ be praising G-d "kakh mevorkhum al
hara" that Shabbos ends. But that's not havdalah. I don't have
a maqor. Could be my father, it's something I "always knew" --
precedes my ability to remember learning it.

A thinking on my feet answer:
That sort of shevach wouldn't be al hakos.

: But alas, that's NOT how Havdala developed. For some reason, the Ner
: and Aish got stuck in the middle, which seems odd because of the
: apparent hefsek. (A second problem I have with our procedure is that
: [unless you're going to use a flame that's been burning since Erev
: Shabbos] it *requires* a volunteer to do the sub-optimal act of saying
: Hamavdil Without Shem Umalchus in order to light the candle.)

Having no one who said "Atah Chonanatanu" in Maariv is the sub-optimal
part of that picture. I don't know if they would coin this kind of thing
to accomodate women who have no men around.

(It would have been assumed they would find a man to make havdalah for
them. Like the famous story of Rebbetzin Zacks -- nee Kagan, the daughter
of the CC. She could have made her own Havdalah; she certainly knew
how. But bachurim would come by to make Havdalah for her. Until the week
where one bachur said (roughly), "Anshuldig, rebbetzin, but do you have
a larger becher? I don't think this one is keshiur." And she replied,
"But that was my father's becher!")

Micha Berger             Rescue me from the desire to win every
micha at aishdas.org        argument and to always be right.
http://www.aishdas.org              - Rav Nassan of Breslav
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   Likutei Tefilos 94:964