[Avodah] Offenders must repent before they are forgiven

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Fri Feb 2 07:55:39 PST 2018

Please see the article at

https://goo.gl/yARGe3

In light of the fact  that what Levy did is a Chilul HaShem,  then
based on  Rav Schwab's article

Chillul
Hashem<http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/chillul_hashem_r_schwab.pdf>

it seems to me that Levy cannot fully repent until his death.

There he writes

Every form of Chillul Hashem lowers the awareness of
the Divine Presence in the world. But if the desecrator
happens to be a professed Torah observer or, even worse, a
so-called scholar of the Torah, then the Chillul Hashem not
only weakens the respect for Torah on one hand, but
strengthens on the other hand the defiance of the nonobserver
and adds fuel to the scoffers, fanning the fires of
religious insurrection all around. Chillul Hashem is
responsible, directly or indirectly, for the increase of frivolity,
heresy and licentiousness in the world. Therefore, we should
not be surprised reading the harsh words of condemnation
we find in the Talmud: "He who has committed Chillul
Hashem, even Teshuvoh, Yom Kippur and suffering cannot
fully atone for his sin until the day of his death (Yoma 86)."

So even though Levy has served his time it does not mean that
according to Judaism he is completely innocent.

YL