[Avodah] Haetz and Shehecheyanu

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 06:18:27 PST 2018

Today's Halacha Yomis from the OU says:

<<<<Mishna Berura (225:11) writes that when one needs to say both *Ha’eitz*
and *Shehechiyanu*, the proper procedure is to first say the *bracha* of
*Shehechiyanu*, followed by the *bracha* on the fruit, and then to take a
bite. This is not considered a *hefsek* (break) between the recitation of
the *Shehechiyanu* and eating the fruit because the *bracha* of
*Shehechiyanu* was instituted primarily to be said upon seeing the fruit.
Although the common practice is to delay saying the *bracha* until we eat
from it, still it is not a *hefsek*, since the *bracha* can really be said
on seeing the fruit.
Mishna Berura writes that alternatively, one can recite *Ha’eitz*, take a
bite and then after swallowing the first bite recite *Shehechiyanu*.
However it is best not to say *Shehechiyanu* immediately after *Ha’eitz*,
as this would cause a *hefsek* (break) between the recitation of the
*bracha* on the fruit and eating the fruit. >>>>

My question: Why is this different than the Shehecheyanu on YomTov? Using
the logic presented here, I would argue that Shehechaynu is a hefsek
between Hagafen and drinking the wine, and that it would be better to say
the Shehecheyanu BEFORE Kiddush, because, after all, it is being said on
the day, and not on the kiddush.

If kiddush can be used as a precedent for fruit, then it would be best to
say the Shehecheyanu after Haetz, because eating is when the major hanaah
occurs.

What difference is there between the two?

Akiva Miller