[Avodah] Chalav Yisrael: Required or recommended

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jan 26 10:40:18 PST 2018

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 03:17:57PM -0800, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
: R' Teitz wrote:
:> As I have always understood it, there is no doubt on the part of any posek
:> that chaleiv akum is an absolute issur, not a chumra, and not one that
: is subject to being overridden because of circumstance short of pikuach
: nefesh. The sole matter in dispute is what constitutes chaleiv akum.
:
: There is the opinion of the Pri Chadash and others (albeit a minority
: opinion) that when there is no suspicion of non-kosher ingredients, milk
: (chalav akum) is permitted...

It is the opinion of the Radbaz and Peri Chasah that chalav aku"m means
milk that might have non-kosher adulteration. A standard application of
safeiq deOraisa lechumera, simply that the case is milk of iffy provenance.
So they do agre it's an absolute issur.

And I am guessing -- although I asked the chevrah to check -- that the
Radbaz's opinion is more common among Sepharadim than the Chasam Sofer's.
Even among Ashkenazim, I don't think it's a clear minority.

That guess has two aspects, as someone pointed out to me in private
email:
- textual: what do most Seph acharonim pasqen?
- mimetic: what do most Seph kehillot do in practice?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             A wise man is careful during the Purim banquet
micha at aishdas.org        about things most people don't watch even on
http://www.aishdas.org   Yom Kippur.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter