[Avodah] Chalav Yisrael: Required or recommended

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 15:17:57 PST 2018

R' Teitz wrote:
"As I have always understood it, there is no doubt on the part of any posek
that chaleiv akum is an absolute issur, not a chumra, and not one that
is subject to being overridden because of circumstance short of pikuach
nefesh. The sole matter in dispute is what constitutes chaleiv akum."

There is the opinion of the Pri Chadash and others (albeit a minority
opinion) that when there is no suspicion of non-kosher ingredients, milk
(chalav akum) is permitted. R' Gil Student writes (
https://www.torahmusings.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/halav-yisrael.html):
"It is my contention that the dominant custom in America has been, and
continues to be, to rely on this strong minority opinion and consume
non-Halav Yisrael when there is no question of non-kosher mixtures. "