[Avodah] Chalav Yisrael: Required or Recommended?

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Mon Jan 22 02:36:37 PST 2018

At 07:00 PM 1/21/2018, Micha Berger wrote:
>They had rabbanim who had
>    already ruled it was permissible, such as R' Dov Revel, R' Yisrael
>    Avraham Abba Krieger, (among other greats of early 20^th century
>    American Judaism whom time has forgotten because the huge waves of
>    post-War immigrants to the US never met them) R' Breuer, R' Moshe
>    Soloveitchik and his son R' JB Soloveitchik.

What is your basis for asserting that Rav Breur
ruled that Chalav Stam was permissible?

Here is an excerpt from an article that I wrote
about Rabbi Aryeh Leib Malin that will appear in two weeks in the JP.

Reb Leib, Reb Moshe and Chalav Akum

After WW II was over some of the Mir students who
were in Shanghai came to America.  They found
themselves living in a country were the level of
Jewish observance was often very low. “This was
not a shock to the Mirrer talmidei chachamim, who
knew the scourge of this European “Enlightenment”
- inspired progressive Judaism that sought to
clothe non-Jewish ideologies in more-or-less
Jewish garb. By contrast, the Mirrer talmidim
held fast to the Tree of Life that was Torah through thick and thin.
“Yet they thought they had found other grounds to
be shocked and concerned: In this environment of
hefkeirus (in the spirit of ‘anything goes’), the
Mirrers found that even the small Torah-true
Jewish community was drinking chalav akum (milk
not supervised by a Jew at the time of milking),
something that in Europe would have been totally
unacceptable. They made inquiries regarding the
situation and they were told, ‘Our Rabbi, R’
Moshe Feinstein, says this is permitted in America today.’

“The Mirrer scholars had not yet heard of the
chashuve R' Moshe Feinstein, and the renowned
Mashgiach, R’ Yechezkel (Chatzkel) Levenstein,
delegated one of the outstanding Torah scholars
at the Mir, R’ Leib Malin, to look into the
matter. He phoned R’ Moshe, who was at a bungalow
colony, and a heated debate ensued, as R’ Leib
would not accede to R’ Moshe's point of view.

“Finally, R’ Moshe asked him, ‘Have you heard of
R’ Yisrael Zeev Gustman, the dayan of Vilna?’
‘Yes, of course I have!’ answered R' Leib, ‘We
were chavrusas in Grodno before I went to the
Mir." And he added the usual adjunct of European
Jews in 5706 when speaking of a Jewish person
they had known before the war: ‘Is he still
alive?!?’ ‘He is indeed alive,’ replied R’ Moshe,
‘and he is right here in the bungalow colony. Do you trust his opinion?’

“‘Certainly,’ replied R’ Leib, knowing that R’
Gustman was also an admirer of R’ Chatzkel.
‘Well, I have discussed this issue with him over
the past few weeks, and R’ Gustman agrees that
the milk is kosher.’ R’ Moshe called R’ Gustman
over to speak with R' Leib by phone, and the
great dayan explained R' Moshe's position: Under
the prevailing conditions in the United States
and since the milking met strict U.S.
regulations, the milk was permitted despite not
having Jewish supervision or milking. R’ Leib
accepted the ruling, and the matter was settled.”[i]

[i] Rav Gustman, by David Page, Mesorah Publications, 2017,  pages 121 – 123.