[Avodah] Merchavyah

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 18:58:50 PST 2018

.

I asked why so many Tanachs and Siddurim print "merchavyah" as two
words, when the Gemara clearly says that it is one word. (Or at least,
that's how RSR Hirsch reads that gemara.)

R' Zev Sero answered:
> For one thing, the Keter Aram Tzovah has it as two words.

Someone else (offlist) gave me that same answer, so I clearly failed
to phrase my question clearly. Let's try again...

I acknowledge that this question is a legitimate one; after all, it
was asked by the Gemara itself. Further, I do not want to cast
aspersions on the Baalei Mesorah.

But, l'maaseh, someone who is publishing *must* choose to print it one
way or the other. Why would someone nowadays choose to follow the
manuscripts rather than an almost-unanimous opinion in the gemara?

I concede that the Baalei Mesorah were experts in their field. What I
can't "wrap my head around" is the idea that we would follow them, and
cast aside the psak of R Yochanan, Rav, and Raba. Was their expertise
less than that of Ben Asher?

Akiva Miller