[Avodah] Na'ar hayisi... (was Re: The Protection Offered by a Mezuza)

Jonathan Traum jont at traumatic.us
Tue Jan 2 10:53:00 PST 2018

On 12/25/2017 03:30 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> You remind me of a problem I have saying a particular line of Tehillim
> (37:25) with kavanah, and it comes up at the appendix to bentching,
> "Naar hayisi..." But I have seen a tzadiq whose kids miss meals and have
> to beg. Haven't you?
A good explanation I heard is that the "I" of the passuk isn't me, the
person reciting it, but rather David HaMelech who wrote it. David had
the wherewithal to see to it that no tzaddik (or at least, none that he
was made aware of) would not be taken care of. We say the passuk to
remind us that although we may not have the same resources that he had,
we must still do what we can.

Jonathan