[Avodah] Historicity of Aggadta

H Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 19:44:39 PST 2018

On 1/1/2018 10:31 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> V-al inyan zo ramaz Shlomo b-amro (Mishlei 1:6) "lehavin mashal
> :     umelitza, divrei chachamim vechidasam." Umachmas seebos eilu kav-u
> :     haChachamim a"h/ess divreihem be-inyanim elokiyim/  beramazim.
> :
> :     And to this idea Shlomo hinted/indicated by saying (Mishlei1:6) "to
> :     understand mashal and melitza, the words of wise men and their
> :     chiddos." And for these reasons (to hide lofty teachings from the
> :     undeserving, and to provide material for children and women to
> :     develop as their minds mature) the sages, a"h, established their
> :     words/concerning inyanim elokiyyim/  [not "all their words"--ZL]
> :     through remazim.
> :
> : What kind of remazim? The Rambam there elaborates and explains further:
> :/Lofty concepts/  are too precious to be shared with everyone...
>
> IOW, every story that is a remez encapsulates some inuanim elokiyim.
>
> Which for all we know could be every aggadic story. There is no reason
> to insist one way or the other for any story.
It cannot be every aggadic story. The Rambam is clear (and I thought I
made that clear) that the remazim he ascribes inyanim elokiyim to are
specifically implausibles, to keep the concepts hidden form base people
and to give women and youth material to understand when they develop
enough to comprehend them. If they are not implausible, they are not
hidden from the wrong people, and are not inyanim elokiyyim.

And then there are the other points I made.

Zvi Lampel