[Avodah] Did the Patriarchs Speak Hebrew?

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 16:49:35 PST 2017

Speak means communication, there were 10 communications with which HKBH
created the universe

There were 10 communications broadcast at Har Sinai - I'm pretty sure it
wasn't Polish or Hungarian.

The Rishonim argue about the nature of prophesy, is it an actual voice
(meaning stimulation of the human hearing facility of the ear - not
necessarily stimulated by an actual sound) or just a voice in the head but
TTBOMKnowledge, none question the language. Anyway, does it make any
difference? Either way the brain is receiving a signal.

Perhaps the type of language is irrelevant, what's important is that the
message is received and understood. That the parties are connected.

I have seen, but could not re-find a comment by the MaOr VeShemesh (I think
connected to Ish Mitzi  HiTzilanu) that Yidden spoke Mitzi, and the meaning
of Lo Shinu LeShonom is that they spoke with a Yiddishe style, with dignity
and kindness - and this is what set us apart. Clearly a Derasha designed to
direct the listeners and readers towards a more dignified language, but at
the same time reflecting an ultimate truth, the language does not make the
man, it's the style that's important.

I also recall hearing is a RaMBaN or a Siforno - a child exposed from birth
to no external language inputs, would naturally speak Lashon HaKodesh. This
seems to be a fairly old consideration amongst philosophers, see
Frederick's Experiment, and Gong Mahal.

HKBH looked into the Torah and created the universe, speaks volumes about
the centrality of Torah, not about it's language, although it's not easy
separating the two.