[Avodah] Did the Patriarchs Speak Hebrew?

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Wed Dec 20 07:39:30 PST 2017

From: Zev Sero <zev.sero at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:45 AM
> On 19/12/17 12:46, Mandel, Seth via Avodah wrote:
>> There is no proof that anyone spoke Hebrew. Chazal say that dibb'ra Torah
>> bilshon b'nei odom, and the Torah was written in Hebrew because that is
>> what the Jews understood at the time of Moshe Rabbeinu and the N'vi'im.

> Rashi Bereshis 2:23
> Bereshis Rabbah 18:4

I am talking objective proof, from the T'NaKh and other documents.

Medrashim of Chazal teaches us important ideas, but are not meant to
be literally true. They do not intend to be a historical document,
but rather contain important moral and ethical teachings which are
'emes in the spiritual sense.

There are plenty of Medrashim that have ideas that seem to indicate
that HQBH or the angels spoke Hebrew. But, as the Rambam indicates,
HQBH does not have a mouth and does not speak as people speak. Rather,
all the p'sukim saying that HQBH spoke to Moshe or Aharon mean that He
communicated with them directly to their mind, not that He spoke acoustic
sounds that they heard with their physical ears.

The argument that Prof. Levine brought in the name of R. Frankel, OTOH,
does indeed show that Yehudah must have been speaking Egyptian, but yet
the Torah quotes him in Hebrew.

[Email #2. -micha]