[Avodah] Davening on Airplanes

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Thu Dec 7 03:09:25 PST 2017

At 08:12 PM 12/6/2017, R Micha Berger wrote:
>When it comes to kibud, public treatment does indeed matter...
>However, here we are talking about someone in the olam ha'emes. So they
>know that while on the plane you have that actual issur keeping you from
>fulfilling the minhag of saying qaddish...
>So I do not think it's likely the neshamah would mind the lack of kibud
>as much as they would mind the misplacement of values. I would therefore
>not draw any conclusions from the logical linkage of kibud with intent
>and norms.

 From The Mussar Movement,  Volume 1, Part 2 pages 248 - 249.

    On one of the anniversaries of his father's death, R. Israel was in
    Memel. He was informed that someone else in the synagogue wished to
    say Kaddish. Now R. Israel was very insistent that only one person
    at a time be allowed to recite the Kaddish at the services [28]
    and apparently this congregation had complied with his ruling.
    Reb Yitzchak Isaacson was observing the jahrzeit of a daughter who
    had died very young. Now the Halachah gives precedence to a son
    observing the jahrzeit of a parent on these occasions, and R.
    Israel was obviously entitled to the privilege. Sensing the grief
    he would cause the father by depriving him of the opportunity
    to say Kaddish for his daughter, R. Israel went up to him and
    said: "You sir, will say Kaddish." The worshippers expressed
    their surprise. Not only had R. Israel yielded his own right,
    but also overlooked the duty of honoring his father, since he
    was, by law, obliged to say Kaddish. He explained to them that the
    merit of extending kindness (gemi- lut chesed) to a fellow
    Jew possessed far greater value than the saying of Kaddish.[29]

    [28.] See R. Naftali Amsterdam's will, published in Or Hamusar
          No. 13. See Vol. II of the Hebrew edition of this series,
          Tenu'at Hamusar, II, Chap. 25.

    [29.] Ernile Benjamin, op. cit., p. 25.