[Avodah] A Great Name

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Nov 6 18:04:55 PST 2017

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 04:48:29PM -0400, Sholom Simon via Avodah wrote:
: One of the implicit criticisms of Migdal Bavel was that they wanted
: to make a name for themselves. Then, at the beginning of Lech L'cha,
: H' tells Avram that he will make his name great.

: There must be something there... anybody have any thoughts?

First question... If all of humanity was participating (minus two
epople -- Avraham and Ashur), who exactly were they trying to build
up their reputation for?

Whereas after the Haflagah, man was split into numerous communities,
the notion of being known broadly makes sense. And if you want to
spread your teachings, such fame is useful.

Yes, I think the contrast is meaningful -- the people who got caught
up in ego to the point of irrationality wanted fame for its own
sake. After all, it had no logical value in their context. Whereas
Afraham was granted fame as part of Hashem aiding his success, and
fame is positive.

It's not a question, it's the point.

Micha Berger             Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
micha at aishdas.org        In that space is our power to choose our
http://www.aishdas.org   response. In our response lies our growth
Fax: (270) 514-1507      and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)