[Avodah] Timtum Halev

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Thu Oct 26 05:05:45 PDT 2017

There was an interesting article in the Journal "Ohr Yisrael" #16 by R'Avraham Rubin on Timtum Halev (spiritual pollution). His general conclusion was that eating something that would be classified as "forbidden foods," if you know it is such, will cause timtum halev (spiritual character defects) even if you are permitted to eat it in your case (e.g., pikuach nefesh - life-threatening situation). However, if you eat a "factually forbidden food" based on a mistaken halachic decision by an authorized halachic source, no such damage will occur.
Interesting that this IIUC would yield the result that one could be halachically required to eat the "forbidden food" (rather than commit suicide by starving to death), yet still develop character defects because of it. Seems non-halachic man to me . I know we've discussed before-I submit a data point in that discussion.

KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.