[Avodah] TEXTUAL JUDAISM AND THE LIVING TORAH

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Nov 3 09:02:59 PDT 2017

On 03/11/17 08:44, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 11:38:21PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> : On 02/11/17 08:12, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> :>The Beit Yosef emphasizes that the custom of the entire world
> :>contradicts the Rosh's ruling.
>
> : Not the entire world.  The Rosh himself reported that he was
> : gratified to discover, while travelling through Provence on his way
> : from Germany to Spain, that they did it the right way...
>
> Are you disagreeing with the BY (no citation so I can't check
> myself), with RJR's presentation of the BY?

Not disagreeing so much as pointing out that "the entire world" doesn't
mean quite that.    In fact the Tur on which the BY is commenting also
quotes his father's report about the minhag in Provence.   And the BY
further quotes the Rosh that "uchvar nahagu gam kein biktzat mekomot" to
start on the 7th.   So later when he says "shelo nitkablu divrei haRosh,
vechol ha`olam lo nahagu kein", I think this must be understood as a
generalization, just as we do when we say "der velt" does this or that,
and we clearly don't mean literally everyone.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all