[Avodah] TEXTUAL JUDAISM AND THE LIVING TORAH

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Nov 3 05:44:11 PDT 2017

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 11:38:21PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: On 02/11/17 08:12, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
:>The Beit Yosef emphasizes that the custom of the entire world
:>contradicts the Rosh's ruling.

: Not the entire world.  The Rosh himself reported that he was
: gratified to discover, while travelling through Provence on his way
: from Germany to Spain, that they did it the right way...

Are you disagreeing with the BY (no citation so I can't check
myself), with RJR's presentation of the BY?

Or, are we ignoring the fact that the Rosh lived well before the BY
and could have seen a Provincial minhag that had died by the
mechaber's time.

The BY could well be wrong. We have other examples of famous
rishonim and acharonim who didn't know some minhag of other
communities and thought regional norm was universal.

I just want to understand which of the above we're discussing.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             We are what we repeatedly do.
micha at aishdas.org        Thus excellence is not an event,
http://www.aishdas.org   but a habit.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Aristotle