[Avodah] future impact of deeds

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 10 13:51:59 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 06:29:05PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: In one of his shiurim, R'Reisman questioned a common (my) understanding
: of how those who are no longer with us could be judged based on the
: future impact of their deeds on an ongoing basis. The specific example
: was two individuals (A & B) separately caused two other individuals (C &
: D, who were totally equivalent) to become religious. C dies a day later,
: while D lives a long, productive, and fruitful life. Does it make sense
: that A gets more credit(schar) than B?
:
: My answer is no, but this does not refute the basic premise. The schar
: is based on the % of their potential that C & D actualized-only HKB"H
: knows that, so, in this case in fact, A might even get more credit than B.

Who said that sekhar is indeed based on actualized potential?

"Lefum tz'ara agra", not "lefum tzalach".

And wouldn't judging someone by something out of their control violate
Middas haDin?

HOWEVER, perhaps (thinking out loud) we could invoke megalgalim zekhus
al yedei zakai to say that hashgachah peratis's choice of D's long life
includes among an infinite other factors, the ways in which his mashpia
was mora zekai.

But personally, I would question your conclusion. (But in a personal-belief
sense. Not that it doesn't require understanding in an eilu-va'eilu way.)

Micha Berger             Rescue me from the desire to win every
micha at aishdas.org        argument and to always be right.
http://www.aishdas.org              - Rav Nassan of Breslav
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   Likutei Tefilos 94:964