[Avodah] Oseh Hashalom

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 10 14:04:28 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 10:34:34PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: I went looking at the siddurim that were common in the shuls that I
: grew up in, and I noticed an interesting pattern: Every single one
: gave Oseh Hashalom as the closing bracha at the end of the Amidah; not
: even one suggested saying Hamevarech like the rest of the year.
: Further, every single one used the words Oseh Shalom at the ends of
: Kaddish and Elokai N'tzor; not even one suggested saying Oseh Hashalom
: during the Aseres Yemei Teshuva.
: My questions are these: If you're old enough to remember davening
: Ashkenaz in the 1970s or before, do you remember what was said during
: Aseres Yemei Teshuva? And do you know of any siddur from that era
: which included the newfangled text?

I know my father was saying "hamvarekh" at this time.

However, our minhagim are a hodge-podge of practices from those retained
from the Ottoman Empire before my ancestor's arrival in Litta, mainline
Litvish, R/Dr Mirsky's idiosyncricies (my grandfather came to America as
a teen, and so the rav who met him at Ellis Island was became rav of his
shul determined much of what he did), and what my father picked up Tues
nights (and from YU alumni friends) from RYBS. I did some restoration
of pre-American Biergehr minhag based on R Dovid Lifshitz's memories of
what it was.

AND that brings me to a theory... Minhagim that Chabad, Talmidei haGra
and Sepharadim have in common are bound to become Minhag EY. And Minhag
EY is bound to be known globally, at least by the 1970s.

Maybe this is just a thing that universalized faster.

Anecodtally, I notice fewer and fewer people wearing tefillin on ch"m
each year. Although Passaic, a neighborhood with some 40% BT rate, is
going to have weaker ties to minhag than ones in which more people have
childhood memories of what dad does.

I also noticed more an more shuls moving Shir shel Yom and Hoshanos
from the end of mussaf to before leining.

One thing all three of the communities that dominated the Yishuv haYashan
had in common was an attachment to Qabbalah. We may be seeing more and
more Tzefat-originating practices coming to the fore in the comming years
as a new Minhag EY (and ch"v if galus lasts long enough Minhag America)
emerges.

Much to R' Ovadiah's poshumous dismay, I would presume.

Micha Berger             "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
micha at aishdas.org        I do, then I understand." - Confucius
http://www.aishdas.org   "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites