[Avodah] Starbucks coffee and nosein ta'am

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Sep 28 08:54:58 PDT 2017

On 9/28/2017 4:20 AM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> I have always understood that taam does NOT have substance, and I got
> that from the halacha of kashering a keli with hagalah. Hagalah is
> effective only in removing taam, and the keli must be totally clean
> beforehand. Now, if taam has substance, and I have cleaned all the
> substance from the keli, then what remains to kasher? ...

If taam is something absorbed into the kli, you wouldn't be able to get
it out by washing.  That's why we use terms like "polet" (expel).  I
always assumed that there was some sort of barely detectable substance
absorbed into the kli.  Hence things like glass and stainless steel
possibly not being mekabel taam, because they aren't porous.

Lisa