[Avodah] Why is it customary for women and not men to light the Shabbos candles?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Sep 14 13:15:37 PDT 2017

First, let me get the easier stuff out of the way. So I am replying to
R Akiva Miller's second post first.

On Sun, Sep 03, 2017 at 6:38am EDT, RAM wrote:
: As I see it, the only "problem" with a brand-new oil wick it that
: takes some time for the fire to "catch". I don't see this as a real
: halachic problem with constituting a hefsek between the bracha and the
: lighting; it is more of a practical problem of the bother and effort,
: but mostly the time delay in a close-to-Shabbos situation, and that
: does not apply to Chanukah.

I though the point was that unlike neir Chanukah, neir Shabbos (or YT)
is about creating shalom bayis. Therefore, pushing to make their neiros
more of a collaborative effort between both spouses enancese the function
of neis Shabbos.

IOW, it is not about "the time delay in a close-to-Shabbos situation"
as much as about the wife's stress in that situation and letting her
feel less that she is shouldering the list alone.