[Avodah] Machlokes in Mishnayos, why?

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Sep 11 17:20:19 PDT 2017

On 11/09/17 07:54, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
> "The Nesi'im during the last 100 years before the Churban were Hillel,
> Shimon, Gamliel [ha'Zaken], and Shimon (the father of R. Gamliel who was
> Nasi in Yavneh)"

And how many of those feature in any machlokos?   Hillel & Shammai had
only three, beside the long-running one on smicha.

> These people all figure in the Mishna.

Hillel & Shammai do.  Where, other than Pirkei Avos, do the other three
appear, giving halachic opinions, let alone ones that are subject to
dispute?

> Hillel and Shammai were certainly
> well before the churban and therefore so were at least some of their
> students, Beis Hille and Beis Shammai.

I don't believe the differences between BH & BS emerged until well after
H & S were gone, when a new generation arose "asher lo yad`u va'asher lo
ra'u".

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all