[Avodah] Machlokes in Mishnayos, why?

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Sep 11 04:54:51 PDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Lisa Liel <lisa at starways.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure where you got that idea, Marty.  Rabbi Akiva lived at the
> time of the Bar Kochva revolt.  R' Yehuda HaNasi lived even later.  The
> vast majority of the Mishna deals with Sages who lived after the
> destruction of Bayit Sheni.

While much of the Mishna was after the Churban, parts are before. As I
mentioned The Gemara in Shabbos (15) states

"The Nesi'im during the last 100 years before the Churban were Hillel,
Shimon, Gamliel [ha'Zaken], and Shimon (the father of R. Gamliel who was
Nasi in Yavneh)"

These people all figure in the Mishna. Hillel and Shammai were certainly
well before the churban and therefore so were at least some of their
students, Beis Hille and Beis Shammai.