[Avodah] Machlokes in Mishnayos, why?

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Sep 11 01:20:59 PDT 2017

R' Zev Sero wrote:
> Through most of those years there were no machlokos, or none except the
> one on smicha

What about all of the disputes between Beis Hillel and Beis Shammai?
Mishnayos are full of them and they were in this period of the Bayis
Sheini.

[Email #2]

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> My theory is that not every case of different posqim reaching different
> conclusions rose to the level of being called a machloqes that needed
> resolution by higher courts.
>
> IOW, not every plurality is a machloqes.
>
> To me the question is more: When are we okay living with a variety of
> valid alternatives, and when it's a machloqes that requires final pesaq?

The Rambam in Hilchos Mamrim seems to take a much more black and white
approach. The Rambam writes in Hilchos Mamrim
"Kol din shenolad lo safek l'echad miyisrael" seems to include everything
in the resolution of the Beis Din Hagadol. The Rambam seems to be saying
that there were no disputes when there was a Beis Din Hagadol