[Avodah] Questions about mechiyas amalek

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 6 19:12:45 PDT 2017

On 06/09/17 18:51, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 02:48:00PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> : On 06/09/17 10:45, Micha Berger wrote:
> : >I think he concluded said rebbe did it as intentional ziyuf, not an
> : >error.
>
> : No.  Why would he do that?
>
> A king can extrajudicially kill, but for an honest mistake?
> And yet no one discusses this as a sin on David haMelekh's part.

I don't understand why you keep bringing David up.  What does he have to
do with this story?   The story is about Yoav, not David.

And I repeat my question, why would Yoav's rebbe intentionally corrupt
the pasuk?  Why would Yoav even suspect him of it?

> :> But in any case, #6 on the Rambam's history of gedolei hador since Sinai
> :> never learned the sugya with anyone in the beis medrash?
>
> : Yoav was a gadol hador?!  I don't see him listed in the Rambam's hakdamah.
>
> No! David haMelekh is the 6th name on the list.

So how does that make Yoav a gadol?

> And how did someone
> at or rising to that level never discussed Yoav's shitah with others,
> particularly during the ramp-up time to the war. How is it DhM didn't
> get clarification /before/ the war?

Why would it even occur to him that Yoav had such a misunderstanding?

> And why did he think Shelomo haMelekh killed all the women and most
> of the animals?

Do you mean Shaul?   Perhaps Yoav didn't know the details of what had
happened all those years ago.   In fact how many people ever knew about
Shmuel's rebuke of Shaul?  It may have been secret by the king's order,
and not spoken about, so Yoav may never even have heard of it.

> Was there no one in the beis medrash who had it right? Who spoke up when
> it was too late, but wasn't there to be asked?

Again, Yoav thought he had it right.  He didn't even know that there was
anything he needed to ask.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all