[Avodah] Questions about mechiyas amalek

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 6 15:51:31 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 02:48:00PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: On 06/09/17 10:45, Micha Berger wrote:
: >I think he concluded said rebbe did it as intentional ziyuf, not an
: >error.

: No.  Why would he do that?

A king can extrajudicially kill, but for an honest mistake?
And yet no one discusses this as a sin on David haMelekh's part.

:> But in any case, #6 on the Rambam's history of gedolei hador since Sinai
:> never learned the sugya with anyone in the beis medrash?

: Yoav was a gadol hador?!  I don't see him listed in the Rambam's hakdamah.

No! David haMelekh is the 6th name on the list. And how did someone
at or rising to that level never discussed Yoav's shitah with others,
particularly during the ramp-up time to the war. How is it DhM didn't
get clarification /before/ the war?

And why did he think Shelomo haMelekh killed all the women and most
of the animals? Actually, if you figure the remaining animals were for
qorbanos, he was planning on all them being killed. A random reenactment
of Yericho?

Was there no one in the beis medrash who had it right? Who spoke up when
it was too late, but wasn't there to be asked?

Micha Berger             What we do for ourselves dies with us.
micha at aishdas.org        What we do for others and the world,
http://www.aishdas.org   remains and is immortal.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Albert Pine