[Avodah] reactionary takanos and gezeiros

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Sep 3 17:39:16 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 06:41:27PM -0400, Sholom Simon via Avodah wrote:
: An example, actually, just came to mind as I was typing this: when
: American changed from the noun of "frankfurter" to "hot dog" during WW-I.
: (Or, "freedom fries". Uggh).

Given the nature of America, thix is going to be rare. I would have
recommended looking to European examples, but recently Europe has taken
to bending over backwards to be welcoming rather than to preserve their
national ethnicity.

I think this topic has become non-PC. Nationalism is even a dirty word
in some circles; viewed as faschism, or fascism-lite.

You might disagree, or not, but can we take this any further without
running afoul of rules about discussing politics?

But I hope that at least relating the two topics will provide something
to think about.

Micha Berger             "Someday I will do it." - is self-deceptive.
micha at aishdas.org        "I want to do it." - is weak.
http://www.aishdas.org   "I am doing it." - that is the right way.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk