[Avodah] Kellogg's Products containing gelatin & interesting story

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 28 12:11:04 PDT 2017

On 28/08/17 13:52, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:39:53AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> :> Vehara'ayah it's not directly about adulteration -- only part of the
> :> milking needs supervision, not yotzei venichnas for all of it.
>
> : And RMF agrees.  He points out that if there were an actual cheshash
> : then no gezera would have been necessary, because safek d'oraisa
> : lechumra.

> Except that RMF holds that the gezeira requires knowledge, not literal
> visual observation. Which is the grounds for his famous teshuvah allowing
> "chalav hacompany". Which doesn't map to just watching part of it.
> So yes, both hold CY was a gezeira, but RMF doesn't agree with the lines
> right above your comment.

He holds that absolutely certain knowledge *is* visual observation, as
evidenced by the eidim for kidushei biah.

And that the gezera only applies to the last nochri from whose
possession it passes to the possession of a yid, so we don't need
observation *or* certain knowledge of what previous owners have done.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all