[Avodah] Kellogg's Products containing gelatin & interesting story

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 28 10:52:37 PDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:39:53AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
:> Vehara'ayah it's not directly about adulteration -- only part of the
:> milking needs supervision, not yotzei venichnas for all of it.

: And RMF agrees.  He points out that if there were an actual cheshash
: then no gezera would have been necessary, because safek d'oraisa
: lechumra.

Except that RMF holds that the gezeira requires knowledge, not literal
visual observation. Which is the grounds for his famous teshuvah allowing
"chalav hacompany". Which doesn't map to just watching part of it.
So yes, both hold CY was a gezeira, but RMF doesn't agree with the lines
right above your comment.

(Personally I believe that most who permitted CY in the US before RMF
held it was a pesaq; that CY was merely an instance where kashrus
inspection was needed that dates back to chazal.)

BTW, the same argument could be said about demai. Most amei ha'aretz
must have separated tu"m. Because there would have been no point to
the gezira of demai if there were a safeiq we would have to worry about
without the gezeira.

Micha Berger             Education is not the filling of a bucket,
micha at aishdas.org        but the lighting of a fire.
http://www.aishdas.org                - W.B. Yeats
Fax: (270) 514-1507