[Avodah] Maris Ayin, Kidney Fats of a Chaya

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Aug 22 21:28:06 PDT 2017

It seems we agree that there is no Maris Ayin banning eating deer kidney
with its fats.
So there you are, eating what looks for all intents and purposes, to be
Cheilev
Yet Chazal were not Gozer to prohibit this due to Maris Ayin.

Is the physical difference between Cheilev and Shuman
more than the difference between fish blood and animal blood?
Would there be no confusion between red coloured liquids, like wine and
animal blood?

There is no MA on Ben PeKuAh that is salvaged as a non-fully-gestated, no
matter how long it lives and no matter how much it looks smells tastes and
feels like an ordinary beast.
Why is that so?

Proposing that - IT IS NOT IDENTICAL TO CHEILEV SO THERE IS NO QUESTION - seems
a little fantastic

And indeed we should ask - why don't we worry that onlookers will think
that beef Shuman is Cheilev?

Is it OBVIOUS that there is no reason to suspect it is Cheilev, so why jump
to that conclusion?
I do not think so.

I suspect that Chazal applied their Gezeirah pretty much to those cases
where the NAME identifies is as a product similar to the prohibited
product. Perhaps like the position that Min BeMino is determined by name
not by taste,

Chaya does not have anything NAMED Cheilev.
Shuman is not NAMED Cheilev
Red coloured liquids that are also NAMED blood are prohibited
White coloured liquids that are also NAMED milk are prohibited

Soy sausages and burgers etc. are not NAMED meat
Ben PeKuAh is not NAMED meat