[Avodah] Maris Ayin, Kidney Fats of a Chaya

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Aug 19 22:11:49 PDT 2017

On 19/08/17 20:30, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
> I believe there is no Maris Ayin banning eating deer kidney with its fats.
> So there you sit eating what looks to be for all intents and purposes,
> Cheilev
> and you may eat it without any fear that a passerby will mistakenly
> think you are transgressing a Chiyuv Kares.

My understanding is that chelev and shuman are physically different
substances, and chayos simply do not have chelev.   I don't know whether
deer have no kidney fat at all, or if they have shuman around their
kidneys instead of chelev, but either way one is not eating something
that is identical to chelev so there is no question.  (The difference
may not be visible to the undiscerning eye, but in that case you could
ask the same question about beef shuman; why don't we worry that someone
will think it's chelev?  Obviously we don't worry about that because an
observer has no reason to suspect it's chelev, so why should he jump to
that conclusion?)

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all