[Avodah] Solar Eclipses and Maaseh Bereshis

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 21 17:07:30 PDT 2017

> The AlN says that a solar eclipse is a bad sign for non-Jews, and a
> lunar eclipse a bad sign for "son'eihem shel" Yisrael. I don't see an answer
> to the question in his words.

That's not the Aruch Laner, that's the gemara.   The Aruch Laner points
out that the gemara does not say, as it could easily have done, that
eclipses are bad signs, but instead says *at the time* when the sun or
moon is eclipsed it's a bad sign for the appropriate people.  This means
that the (well-understood and predictable) time when an eclipse happens
is a time of judgement, just as there are other times of judgement or
mercy.  E.g. Chazal also said that Wednesdays are a time of judgement,
even though they certainly knew that Wednesdays come with very precise
and predictable regularity!  So also a solar eclipse marks a time when
Hashem sits in judgement on those nations to whom it is visible.

This is just as the Ramban wrote about the rainbow, which is a natural
phenomenon that used to occur regularly long before the flood, but
Hashem said that from now on whenever there is a rainbow it will remind
Him of His promise, whereas before that it didn't have that function.

This also explains why Chazal used the example of a king who, when angry
at his subjects tells his servant to remove the lamp from before them
and let them sit in the dark.  Who is the servant here?  And why didn't
they have the king simply order the light extinguished?  Why have it
removed from before them?  This shows that they were aware that the sun
is not extinguished in an eclipse but is merely hidden by Hashem's
servant, the moon.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all