[Avodah] Tisha B'Av, Greetings - Mazel Tov on Tisha B'Av

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Aug 18 10:46:04 PDT 2017

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 04:52:59PM -0400, Michael Poppers via Avodah wrote:
: A community member at one of the JEC (Elizabeth, NJ, USA) 9Av Mincha
: minyanim questioned my saying "y'yasheir kochacha" to one of the olim ...

: A quick comment on the apparently blessing vs. greeting (i.e. either/or)
: dichotomy quoted by RDrYL: "Shalom aleichem", like M'gilas Rus' "H'
: imachem // y'varechcha H'", is also a blessing, but the "problem" comes
: up when it's utilized as a greeting.

My rule: If said as a social pleasantry, or as a mindless playback of
a recording your parents / society taught you, it's a greeting.

But if you care more about whether the RBSO heard you than the person
you're saying it about, it's a berakhah.

And usually it's somewhere between those poles. With a skew toward the
greeing end.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             We are great, and our foibles are great,
micha at aishdas.org        and therefore our troubles are great --
http://www.aishdas.org   but our consolations will also be great.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabbi AY Kook