[Avodah] Tisha B'Av, Greetings - Mazel Tov on Tisha B'Av

Michael Poppers via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Aug 4 13:52:59 PDT 2017

​A community member at one of the JEC (Elizabeth, NJ, USA) 9Av Mincha
*minyanim* questioned my saying "*y'yasheir kochacha*" to one of the *olim*
(FWIW, I was the *bal qorei*) and, a few min.s later, brought to the *bimah*
an Artscroll-*dinim* paragraph (from the back of its 9Av *siddur*) about
not greeting someone; my response, as you might guess, was that "*y'yasheir*
/*yeeshar kochacha*" was not a greeting.

A quick comment on the apparently blessing vs. greeting (i.e. either/or)
dichotomy quoted by RDrYL: "*Shalom aleichem*", like M'gilas Rus' "*H'
imachem* // *y'varechcha H'*", is also a blessing, but the "problem"​ comes
up when it's utilized as a greeting.

All the best from
*Michael Poppers* * Elizabeth, NJ, USA