[Avodah] question of interest?

Mordechai Torczyner via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jul 27 19:37:28 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Rich, Joel <JRich at sibson.com> wrote:
>> If it's because the money is owed, then I would think the maaser kesafim
>> was already accounted for the first time you earned the money.
>> If it's because of an asei, then perhaps receiving the ribbis back would
>> be subject to maaser kesafim.
> Agreed-my challenge with the ritva is that he seems to say it is
> something else (I'm not sure what unless u say it is because of the aseih
> but not a tikkun for the lav)
> KT

Hi R' Joel,

Indeed, the Ritva's view is that ribbis, once paid, belongs to the
creditor. The creditor is obligated to pay it back, but the money is his
for purposes including Kiddushin. Other applications include whether the
borrower has the power to forgive the repayment, and whether the creditor's
heirs have a duty to repay.

Kol tuv,
Mordechai
<http://www.hamakor.org>