[Avodah] question of interest?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jul 27 10:09:36 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 01:13:33PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: the Ritva on kiddushin 6b says ribbit (illegal interest) must be returned
: by the lender, but it is not gezel (robbery) or a tikkun lav (as in lav
: hanitak l'aseh). So what is the force that causes the return? Does the
: lender have to give maser ksafim from it??

I am in the middle of R' Mordechai Torczyner's (CC-ed, please include
him in replies) shiurim on ribis.
http://www.yutorah.org/search/?teacher=81072&category=0,234696

In particular, shiurim no.s 3-5 are about refunds. It's under 2 hrs
total, and if you know something of the sugya, 1.25x speed is doable.

The first lines of the source sheet to those shiurim is "Lamah yeish
chiyuv lehachzir ribis?"
http://www.yutorah.org/download.cfm?materialID=529082

If it's because the money is owed, then I would think the maaser kesafim
was already accounted for the first time you earned the money.
If it's because of an asei, then perhaps receiving the ribbis back would
be subject to maaser kesafim.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507