[Avodah] Correcting Baalei Kriah

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 19 10:36:51 PDT 2017

On 19/07/17 13:20, Akiva Miller wrote:

> Let me be clear: I do realize that there may be a downside to correcting
> someone who makes a mistake in the haftara (embarrassing him or
> whatever). But that should be weighed against the upside, and RZS seems
> to feel that there simply isn't any upside, and that's the part that I
> don't understand.

I'm saying that it's not *required*, and therefore it becomes a highly
situational question of balancing the reader's sensitivity and the
tircha detzibura against a desire to hear a haftara that doesn't grate
on the nerves.   There's no "I'm sorry but if we don't correct him we
won't be yotzei".

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all