[Avodah] Correcting Baalei Kriah

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 19 10:20:13 PDT 2017

R' Zev Sero wrote: <<< But bediavad even if a haftarah were mangled beyond
recognition it's surely no worse than not having read it at all, >>>

This illustrates why I suggested avoiding words like "chiyuv". Is our goal
to be in a status of "no worse than not having read it at all"? Surely not!
If we would be satisfied with such, then why do we bother reading it?

Let me be clear: I do realize that there may be a downside to correcting
someone who makes a mistake in the haftara (embarrassing him or whatever).
But that should be weighed against the upside, and RZS seems to feel that
there simply isn't any upside, and that's the part that I don't understand.

Akiva Miller