[Avodah] Correcting Baalei Kriah

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jul 14 14:26:09 PDT 2017

.
R' Moshe Yehuda Gluck asked:

> I believe – and I may be wrong on this (in which case I’m sure
> I’ll be corrected!) – that in most chassidish shuls, everyone
> reads the haftorah to themselves. In most litvishe shuls only
> the baal korei reads. And Nusach Sefard/non-chasidish shuls go
> 50/50.
>
> Does that mesh with everyone else’s experience?

I have no idea what you mean by "litvishe" in this context. Do you
mean Nusach Ashenaz, or Yeshivish, or In A Yeshiva, or something else?

Anyway, in the Nusach Ashkenaz shuls and yeshivos that I have
attended, virtually no one reads the haftara to himself, regardless of
whether the Reader is reading from a klaf, a printed Tanach, or a
Chumash. And those few who *do* read it to themselves are
(unfortunately) loud enough to make it difficult to hear the Reader.

In the Nusach Sefard shuls I've been to, there much more people
reading to themselves. In fact, the Reader often doesn't even attempt
to raise his voice so that others can hear him. But I've attended
Nusach Sefard shuls rarely enough that I cannot venture a guess about
the percentages.

R' Joel Rich wrote:

> I always assumed correcting when not from a klaf was more an
> educational thing.

What do you mean by "an educational thing"? Do you mean that mistakes
are not m'akev the mitzvah? Surely if a mistake changes the meaning of
the word, then the reading is invalid, no? Why would it be merely "an
educational thing"?

Akiva Miller