[Avodah] A Poem For Elul

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Aug 27 09:42:48 PDT 2017

Saw on Facebook and wanted to share.

I am not sure if R Bin Goldman intended the title to be "a poem for elul"
(sic) and the first line read (in Hebrew, my transliteration) "Lekha Amar
Libi" or if he wrote a poem titled "Lekha Amar Libi, which he introduced
as a poem for Elul. I am presenting it as if the latter.

    Lekha Amar Libi
    [R'] Bin Goldman

    My daughter loves to disappear.
    With little hands over big, bright eyes
    she announces, "You can't see me!"
    Her giggles float around me like the bubbles
    we love to blow together.

    I light up when I watch her,
    but she can't tell.
    She'll never see me from her darkness
    standing there, adoring her.

    Sometimes when it's dark for me,
    I wonder: can God still see me
    or have I disappeared?
    If only I could see that
    it's me who's hiding. My daughter loves to disappear.