[Avodah] Tisha B'Av, Greetings - Mazel Tov on Tisha B'Av

Professor L. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jul 31 07:48:43 PDT 2017

The following is from today's OU kosher Halacha Yomis

Q. The Mishnah Berurah (O.C. 554:41) rules that saying "Tzafra Tova" "Good Morning" is prohibited on Tisha B'Av, just as greeting one's friend is by saying "Shalom Aleichem" (Mechaber 554:20). I am attending a Bris on Tisha B'Av. May I say "Mazal Tov" to the baby's father? If I meet a sick person on Tisha B'Av, may I wish him a "Refuah Shleimah" (a full recovery)? Are these also prohibited forms of greeting?

A. Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach, zt"l rules that Mazal Tov for a recent Simcha may be said on Tisha B'Av since it is considered a blessing and not a greeting (Dirshu M.B. Beiurim and Musofim 554:63 citing Halichos Shlomo Bein HaMitzorim Vol. 15 Orchos Halacha 30). However, if at all possible, one should wait for a different day to express this Mazal Tov (Chut Sheini Vol. 2 p. 327).

Our minhag is to perform a Bris on Tisha B'Av after the Kinos are completed, even if it is before Chatzos (mid-day), because of Zerizim makdimim l'Mitzvos, those who serve Hashem with alacrity, do mitzvos as quickly as possible (Mechaber, Rama 559:7 and Mishna Berurah ibid s.k. 26). Rav Shlomo Zalman was of the opinion that one can certainly say "Mazal Tov" at the Bris even before Chatzos (ibid). Rav Moshe Feinstein, zt"l however rules that the Mazal Tov for the Bris should only be said after Chatzos (Dirshu M.B. ibid citing Shmaitza D'Moshe p. 431).

Although "Sholom Aleichim" should not be said to an Avel (one who is in mourning), the Gesher HaChaim (21:67:7) permits wishing "Refuah Shleima" to an Avel who is ill, since this is considered a blessing and not a greeting. For the same reason it is permitted on Tisha B'Av to wish a "Refuah Shleima" to a person who is ill (Dirshu M.B. ibid).